Monday, September 14, 2015



Outrage as black woman was 'forced to spend eight days in a psych ward because cops would not believe the BMW she was driving was hers'

A black woman claims she was held against her will at a mental hospital for eight days then slapped with a $13,000 bill because a police officer didn't believe the BMW she was driving belonged to her.

Kamilah Brock, 32, sued the city earlier this year for unspecified damages and claims that her constitutional rights under the Fourth and 14th Amendments were violated and that she was a victim of racism.

She is arguing that she endured 'unwanted and unwarranted intrusion of her personal integrity, loss of liberty [and] mental anguish' during and after her bizarre encounter with police last year.

Brock tearfully recounted the nightmare to PIX 11 on Thursday which began when she was reportedly pulled over by NYPD on September 12 of last year as she was stopped at a traffic light in Harlem.

When an unidentified police officer asked her why her hands were not on the steering wheel she told him it was because she was dancing to her car music and that she didn't think that was a problem because she was at a red light.

'I said I was dancing, I am at a light,' Brock told PIX11.

'He asked me to get out of the car.'

The Huffington Post reports that Brock was then taken into custody and transported to the NYPD's 30th precinct where she was held for several hours but never charged with a crime.

Police told her to go back to the station the next day to pick up her 2003 BMW 325CI.

When Brock, a banker, returned the following day to claim her car she says the police did not believe her when she said that she was the rightful owner of the luxury vehicle.

'I just felt like from the moment I said I owned a BMW, I was looked at as a liar. They put me in handcuffs and said they just need to put me in handcuffs to take me to my car. And I said OK, whatever it's gonna take to get to my car.'

'Then EMS approached me,' she continued.

'And they said we're gonna take you to your car. And I'm like, in an ambulance? I'm going to my car in an ambulance? I'm going to my car in an ambulance? I was just so confused,' she said.

The Huffington Post reports that medical records show Brock was taken to Harlem Hospital, stripped naked, forced to take lithium, and injected with powerful sedatives.

'He held onto me and then the doctor stuck me in the arm and I was on a stretcher and I woke up to them taking my clothes off, specifically my underwear,' Brock told PIX 11.

'Then I went back out again. When I woke up the next day, I felt like I was in a nightmare. I didn't understand why that was happening to me.'

The records also show that personnel at Harlem Hospital tried to make her deny that she owned a BMW, was a banker, and that President Barack Obama followed her on Twitter.

Medical staff believed that Brock had Bi Polar disorder for her claims about the BMW, her job, and her social media account.

Brock's lawyer Michael Lamonsoff says that his client told the truth the entire time and claims that Brock was discriminated against because she is black and that a white woman would not have had the same experience.

Earlier this summer the city claimed that Brock had been 'acting irrational, she spoke incoherently and inconsistently, and she ran into the middle of traffic on Eighth Ave' during the traffic stop with police.

The NYPD previously only confirmed that Brock was taken into their custody.

Original report here


(And don't forget your ration of Wicked Thoughts for today. Now hosted on Wordpress.  If you cannot access it, go to the MIRROR SITE, where  posts  appear as well as on  the primary site.  I have reposted  the archives (past posts) for Wicked Thoughts  HERE or HERE or here


No comments: