Tuesday, May 12, 2015

British police watchdog launches probe after video appears to show 14-year-old boy getting serious head injury as he is arrested

Declan Diedrick was arrested by officers last week on suspicion of theft

The police watchdog has launched an investigation after a video emerged showing a 14-year-old boy with a serious head injury as he is arrested.

Blood can be seen streaming down Declan Diedrick's face as he was detained by officers on suspicion of an unrelated theft.

The boy's family say he was 'shoved' through a window by Hertfordshire Police officers as he was arrested last week.

Mobile phone video footage posted online shows Declan screaming 'get off me' as he is hauled towards a police car by two officers in Waltham Cross, near Enfield.

One of the officers can be heard telling the boy to 'calm down', with Declan replying: 'don't f***ing calm down me. I can't breathe.'

One of the officers, who later asks for a first aid kit, provided his name and his ID number to the person filming the incident.

Declan's mother Lorraine Hall told the Mirror that her son needed 20 stitches to his head.

She said: 'The police rang me and told me he was on his way to hospital. Then the hospital rang me to ask if they could stitch him up. He was taken back to the police station straight after to be questioned.

'When I saw the injury I was freaked out. He's been off school ever since. He's still suffering headaches and feeling dizzy. 'They were too heavy-handed. The officers knew he was a 14-year-old boy.'

Hertfordshire Police has referred itself to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) - the usual procedure after a someone is seriously injured during an arrest.

A force spokesman said: 'Police were called to Waltham Cross at around 5.30pm on Wednesday May 6, following reports of a group of 10 people fighting in the High Street.

'Whilst dealing with this incident officers arrested a 14-year-old boy, in connection with a previous unrelated suspected theft offence.

'During his arrest the boy had sustained a cut to his head and was taken to Princess Alexandra Hospital in Harlow for treatment and was discharged the same day. 'The boy remains on police bail at this time and is due to return to Hoddesdon Police Station on June 20.

'Two other men were arrested at the scene for affray and enquires continue with regards to the wider incident.

'Following the mandatory guidelines regarding injuries sustained during arrests, Hertfordshire Constabulary has referred the incident to the IPCC for further investigation.

'At this time the Constabulary has received no complaints in relation to the incident.'

Original report here

(And don't forget your ration of Wicked Thoughts for today. Now hosted on Wordpress. If you cannot access it, go to the MIRROR SITE, where posts appear as well as on the primary site. I have reposted the archives (past posts) for Wicked Thoughts HERE or HERE or here

No comments: