Thursday, April 05, 2012

MD: Father of young man cleared in armed robbery wants police to apologize

Julien Rosaly’s father does not accept that Baltimore police did the best investigation they could with the information they had. He wants them to apologize for arresting his son and friend and charging him with robbing a couple at gunpoint in South Baltimore.

But police and prosecutors will mostly likely not say they’re sorry, despite dropping all charges against the two men on Friday after reviewing a videotape that shows Rosaly eating in a restaurant at the time of the attack.

A police spokesman has defended the arrests as done with legal probable cause. The spokesman for the Baltimore State’s Attorney’s Office called the arrests “appropriate given the information police had at the time.”

But Rosaly and his friend, Nicholes Maultsby, and now Rosaly’s father, says police arrested them too fast, before they searched the men’s rowhouse and found nothing — no gun, no rings worth $22,300, no wallet, no cell phones, and before they checked Rosaly’s alibi.

“I’m a little upset about what when down,” the father, Anthony Rosaly, told me on Monday when he called from Brooklyn, N.Y. “It’s hard for us to deal with it. The ruined my son’s life and his friend’s. He called me from jail, ‘Daddy, you have got to get me out of here. It’s wasn’t me. I told them where I was. They didn’t check.’”

Said the elder Rosaly: “If we didn’t have a videotape, my son would still be locked up.

Original report here




(And don't forget your ration of Wicked Thoughts for today. Now hosted on Wordpress. If you cannot access it, go to the MIRROR SITE, where posts appear as well as on the primary site. I have reposted the archives (past posts) for Wicked Thoughts HERE or HERE or here

No comments: