Thursday, January 07, 2010



Another rogue British cop

Police officer faces court accused of pushing 90-year-old man on to pavement in row over parking ticket

A police officer wrestled a 90-year-old man to the ground during a row over a parking ticket, a court was told yesterday. Gordon Slack was left bleeding on the pavement with cuts on his nose and lip and a black eye, it was claimed. Then 30-year-old PC David Morton forced Mr Slack's daughter to the ground as well, a jury at Derby Crown Court was told.

PC Morton is accused of assaulting Mr Slack, using 'excessive and unjustified' force. The court heard the alleged incident happened after Mr Slack's daughter Lynne parked illegally outside the Co- op in Duffield, near Derby, in October 2008. Chris Kesling, prosecuting, said Miss Slack went into the shop while her father stayed in the car. When a traffic warden approached and started writing out a ticket, Mr Slack got out and started arguing. Mr Slack, now 91, told the court: 'The traffic warden was running round the car like a little rabbit so I thought I'd better find out what was wrong.'

The row continued after the arrival of a police community support officer, Paula Martin, followed by PC Morton. Mr Kesling said the officer grabbed Mr Slack by the arm and forced him to the pavement, where he hit his face. He said the force used was 'excessive and unjustified'. Miss Slack told the court: 'I saw him hit the pavement and it was horrendous. I was hysterical. I thought my dad was dying. He hit the pavement very hard. 'Then I got the same treatment. My arm was pulled round my back and that's all it took to get me down.' However she was not injured.

The warden, Roger Northover, said he was punched several times in the chest and face by Mr Slack and called a 'bloody bastard'. PCSO Paula Martin, who said she was also punched by Mr Slack, denied Morton had wrestled or thrown the elderly man to the ground. 'I think he fell, that was my interpretation,' she said.

Morton denies a charge of assault causing actual bodily harm. The trial continues.

Original report here



(And don't forget your ration of Wicked Thoughts for today. Now hosted on Wordpress. If you cannot access it, go to the MIRROR SITE, where posts appear as well as on the primary site. I have reposted the archives (past posts) for Wicked Thoughts HERE or HERE



No comments: