Friday, February 03, 2006



ANOTHER DISGRACEFUL PROSECUTION

The claims of a liar trying to cover herself were all that the case was based on. Will the false accuser be charged with perjury? Not likely!

An Ipswich man acquitted yesterday of raping a girl wants compensation for spending his life savings on fighting the "vexatious" claims. Paul Curry, 36, was found not guilty in Ipswich District Court on all nine counts of charges relating to sexual acts against the then 14-year-old girl, who also levelled the claims against Mr Curry's wife. "I'm broke. I spent tens of thousands of dollars (on my defence)," Mr Curry told The Courier-Mail. "I was shocked and utterly disgusted. For two years I had this hanging over my head." Mr Curry's successful automotive business went down the drain and he spent more than three months in Arthur Gorrie Correctional Centre on remand waiting for bail. "I lost my business . . . I lost 20kg . . . I didn't know if I'd be in jail for the next 14 years," he said. "For two years I had to walk around with my head held high."

Police charged Mr Curry and his wife – as an accessory – in 2004 but the charges against Mrs Curry were dropped. Mr Curry said the allegations had shocked him but it further angered him when police targeted his wife.

There was never any physical evidence to prove Mr Curry had sex with the girl, Mr Curry's defence lawyer Tim Meehan said yesterday. Mr Meehan presented evidence in court that the girl lied about the allegations to hide the fact she had a 28-year-old boyfriend, who she now lives with. Mr Meehan said witnesses also told the court the girl had admitted she had lied about the matter and had threatened others if they did not support her claim. He said it was his client who told police about the love affair between the girl and her 28-year-old boyfriend, so she retaliated.

Mr Curry said that he had forgiven the girl for the lies "because she must be sick for her to do this". "The laws need to be changed (because) there are no resources for people who (are charged) when they are innocent," he said. "Anyone can make claims. There should be something available to me." "I spent three-and-a-half months in jail ."

He questioned why the now 15-year-old girl's boyfriend has not been charged for maintaining a sexual relationship with her. After six trial days ended yesterday with a not guilty verdict, Mr Curry celebrated with his wife and relatives. "I can't stop smiling," he said. He said he had been trying to get his business back on track and rebuild his life. He added that a lot of people had supported him during the 16-month ordeal but mud would stick to his name. "Some people look down on me; other than that I've been pretty lucky."

Attorney-General Linda Lavarch said justice had been served for Mr Curry because he was acquitted but there was no avenue for compensation.

Report here


(And don't forget your ration of Wicked Thoughts for today)

No comments: